Supplemental domains (Multiple Domain Strategy) are already in use by competing entities within the Diabetes Management category.
- GlaxoSmithKline - Diabetes.com.
- CCS Medical - Diabetic.com.
- United States Pharmaceutical Group, LLC (NationsHealth) - Diabetics.com.
- Johnson & Johnson (LifeScan) - DiabetesCare.com & DiabetesManagement.com.
- DiabeticSupplies.com, Inc. - DiabeticSupplies.com.
- Liberty Medical Supply, Inc. (via Access Diabetic Supply) - DiabeticSupply.com.
It would be immensely short sighted to suggest that the domains exampled are not of strategic importance related to brand protection. Or that they wouldn't represent a significant threat if possessed by a competitor.
Furthermore, it is important to note that entities routinely own domains that are held by nominees (masking ownership) until needed. It is also important to point out that some possess significant domain portfolios from which they can draw from upon when needed.
View Domains: http://diabetesdomains.com/